MMMMMMMmmmm dinner time! My friend, and co-author of this blog, Josephine, has been cooking and posting recipes, so I think that it’s only fair if I do too. 🙂
Yesterday my sister dragged me grocery shopping with her and I found an awesome buy one get one free deal on steak. I bought two, of course, and decided to make them for dinner today. This is a very simple pan-fried steak recipe with sautéed Chinese broccoli as a side dish. Here’s what you fill need:
- 1 piece of steak (any size piece that you want)
- 1 bundle of Chinese broccoli (I got mine at an oriental store)
- 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- t teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder (or 3 cloves of fresh garlic if you have them)
- 2-3 tablespoon of Worchester sauce
- 1 large fresh onion
- 2 tablespoon of cooking oil (any brand)
- 1 tablespoon of butter (any brand)
You can add or subtract the ingredients to adjust to your taste bud. You can also reverse the amount of cooking oil and butter if you prefer one more over the other. Here’s what you do:
- Season the steak with salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder, and Worchester sauce. Rub it thoroughly to make sure you cover both side of the steak well. Let the steak marinate over night so that it can absorb more of the flavors. However, it is not necessary.
- Chop the whole onion and set it aside.
- Cut up the Chinese broccoli and set it aside as well
- Have the stove on low to medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot enough then add half of the chopped onion first. Let the onion cook for about three minutes before adding the steak
Let the steak cook for about 5 minutes on each side. I let mine cooked for 10 minutes because I don’t like it rare. Just adjust the time depending on how rare you like your steak.
- After the steak has cooked to your liking, add the butter to the pan. Adding the butter now will allow more juice to be available for use later. It also gives the steak a little bit more flavoring.
- Continue to cook the steak until it is cooked to your liking. Then remove the steak and set it aside.
You will have this goodness left in the pan for the next part of the recipe, the side dish.
- Now throw in the broccoli and remaining chopped onions. You will sauté them in the juice left over from the steak. This is all the flavoring that you will need!
- Sauté the ingredients for about five minutes, or until the leaves reach a dark green color
Sorry my picture here is a little dark. When the broccoli starts to turn a darker green color then it is time for you to turn off the stove.
Time to eat! Lay the greeneries on your plate first, then slice the steak into thin pieces and place them on top of the broccoli. Your dinner is ready! Enjoy! 🙂
Let us know how your Pan-fried Steak with Chinese Broccoli turn out!